Architecture of Dublin (University College Dublin)

Thomas Cooley; James Gandon | Four Courts: view from O'Donovan Rossa Bridge | 1776-1802 | Inns Quay, Dublin, Ireland | UCD School of Art History and Cultural Policy

Artstor and the School of Art History and Cultural Policy at the University College Dublin have collaborated to share 620 images of the architecture and built environment of Dublin, Ireland in the Digital Library. These images provide a visual record of the development of Dublin's architecture from the medieval to the early modern period, principally from the 17th to the 19th centuries. Included are many of its major civic and ecclesiastical buildings, together with important examples of domestic architecture. The collection in Artstor includes images of the exteriors, interiors, and decorative details of individual buildings — including those of major architects such as Sir William Chambers and James Gandon — as well as streetscapes and general views of the built environment. Together, these images provide valuable documentation of the historic and ongoing changes to the urban fabric of Dublin, whether through development, demolition, or conservation.

Established in 1854, the University College Dublin (UCD) is the largest university in Ireland and ranked within the top 100 universities by the Times Higher Education (THE) World Universities Rankings. The School of Art History and Cultural Policy has a very strong research reputation and many of the academics are recognized as international scholars in their fields of expertise. The school offers undergraduate and graduate programs in art history and cultural policy and arts management. The collection in Artstor is drawn from the school's extensive collection of 35mm slides and 200 of the images were digitized as part of the UCD Irish Virtual Research Library and Archive (IVRLA) project.