The Cleveland Museum of Art
The Cleveland Museum of Art's permanent collection contains over 42,000 objects, spanning the world's cultures and history. The museum's holdings of Western art begin with the ancient Near East, Egypt, Rome and Greece, and progress through Medieval and Renaissance Europe, 18th- and 19th-century European and American art, Impressionism, Modernism, and Contemporary art. The comprehensive collection of Asian art includes works from China, Japan, Korea, India, the Himalayas, and Southeast Asia. There are also notable smaller collections of Pre-Columbian and African art. Selections from the museum's permanent collection are represented in Artstor with over 6200 works reflecting the museum's strengths in Western and Asian art.
The Cleveland Museum of Art was established in 1913 “for the benefit of all the people forever.” Thus, when the building was completed and filled with works of art in 1916, the museum opened its doors to people of the city of Cleveland free of charge. In seeking to bring art to the broadest possible audience, the museum has endeavored to augment, preserve, and exhibit its collections, while continuing to serve the needs of its community. As a result, the museum expanded several times in 1858, 1971, and 1984 to accommodate the growth of its permanent collection and educational activities. Recently, the Cleveland Museum of Art has embarked upon another major renovation and expansion scheduled for completion in 2011. Both the original 1916 Beaux Arts building and the 1971 addition by Marcel Breuer will be completely renovated. Two new additions, designed by Rafael Viñoly, will integrate the existing buildings around a central courtyard, expanding museum facilities and creating a new civic space for the people of the city of Cleveland.