Shangri La, Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art
Artstor Digital Library and the Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art are sharing approximately 800 images of Islamic and South Asian art from the collection at Shangri La.
Located in Honolulu, Hawaii, Shangri La is the former home of Doris Duke (1912-1993) and houses her collection of Islamic art. Duke built Shangri La in 1937, designing the house in collaboration with architect Marion Sims Wyeth. Beginning in 1935, Duke made many trips to Morocco, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Lebanon, India, and other countries, developing a lifelong interest in Islamic art. In addition to purchasing artifacts during her travels, Duke also commissioned art from contemporary Muslim artists. She personally participated in the design and installation process, juxtaposing objects in a variety of media from various regions, time periods, and cultures of the Islamic world. Duke was particularly interested in decorative arts of the 17th through 19th centuries, especially those of the Ottoman, Mughal, Safavid, and Qajar dynasties. Many objects are integrated in the structure of the house itself, including architectural elements such as ceilings and doorways, and decorative elements such as ceramic tiles, lighting, and furniture. Over the course of nearly 60 years, Duke amassed approximately 3,500 objects, dating from 1500 BCE through the 20th century CE. Selections from the Shangri La collection will be represented in Artstor with approximately 800 images, featuring Indian jewelry and enamels; Syrian, Indian, Spanish, and Persian furniture, doors, and ceilings; Persian and Turkish tile panels and portable ceramics; and Central Asian, Persian, Turkish, and Indian textiles.
Shangri La is owned and supported by the Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art (DDFIA). The DDFIA is one of three operating foundations supported by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, and was created by Duke to promote the study and understanding of Islamic art and culture. Shangri La has been open to the public since 2002 as a center for Islamic arts and cultures.