William L. MacDonald: Architecture (Princeton University)
Artstor is collaborating with Princeton University to share approximately 3,000 images of architecture from the archives of William L. MacDonald. MacDonald was Professor of the History of Art at Smith College, where he concentrated on the architectural history of Classical Rome. His personal collection of slides is held in the Visual Resources Collection of the Department of Art and Archaeology at Princeton University.
The photographs were taken by MacDonald over a period of more than 40 years and include sites that now are largely inaccessible and monuments that have permanently changed. The collection in Artstor will document the city of Rome in great depth. Coverage will also include ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Roman architecture, Byzantine and Baroque architecture, and American architecture.
William L. MacDonald (1921-2010) taught at Wheaton College and Yale University before joining Smith College in 1965, where he remained for the remainder of his career. In 1974, he was appointed Alice Pratt Brown Professor of Art. His publications include: Early Christian and Byzantine Architecture, 1962; The Architecture of the Roman Empire, 1965; The Pantheon: Design, Meaning, and Progeny, 1976; and Hadrian's Villa and its Legacy (with John Pinto), 1995. In 1986, The Architecture of the Roman Empire was re-issued by Yale University Press and has since become the standard text for undergraduate courses in the field. That same year, MacDonald's book was awarded the Alice Davis Hitchcock Book Award by the Society of Architectural Historians, for "the most distinguished work of scholarship in the history of architecture published by a North American scholar."