Princeton University: John Pinto Collection
Artstor and Princeton architectural historian John Pinto have collaborated to share approximately 2,000 images of Italian architecture, landscape, and urbanism in the Digital Library.
Pinto specializes in 18th century Rome, and his field photography has played an integral role in his scholarship and teaching for decades. His photographs document Renaissance and Baroque architecture, landscape architecture, and monuments, including Hadrian's Villa and Trevi Fountain. These images trace Rome's history as a center of artistic production through the ages.
John Pinto is the Howard Crosby Butler Memorial Professor of the History of Architecture in the Princeton University Department of Art and Archaeology and is a Fellow of the American Academy in Rome. Among his publications are Pietro Bracci and Eighteenth-Century Rome: Drawings for Architecture and Sculpture in the Canadian Centre for Architecture and other Collections, with Elisabeth Kieven (2001), The Trevi Fountain (1986), and Hadrian's Villa and Its Legacy (1995), co-authored by William L. MacDonald. Pinto makes extensive use of technology in his teaching, including the Nolli project, an inter-relational database of texts and images linked to a digital version of Giambattista Nolli's 1748 plan of Rome.
|Total size of collection*||1,969|
|Percentage of completion||100%|
* Image totals should be regarded as an approximation until a given collection is 100% complete. Users should also bear in mind that the number of images available to them may vary from country to country, reflecting ARTstor’s approach to addressing an international copyright landscape that itself varies from country to country.
Last updated: October 6, 2014