New agreement: Photographs of art from Mexico by Bob Schalkwijk
ARTstor and Bob Schalkwijk are collaborating to share approximately 2,000 images selected from the photographer’s archives of pre-Columbian, colonial, and 19th- and 2oth-century art from Mexico in the Digital Library. The collection in ARTstor will focus on murals by renowned artists such as Diego Rivera, David Alfaro Siqueiros, and José Clemente Orozco.
An accomplished anthropological photographer, Bob Schalkwijk began his career in 1960 in Mexico. In addition to his photography of Mexican art, Schalkwijk’s work documents indigenous traditions, culinary customs, sculptures, arts and crafts, and local dress. He has traveled throughout four continents and most of Mexico focusing on people, their environment, and their culture. His archives of more than 400,000 photographs range from portraits to landscapes throughout the world.
- Mark Rogovin: Mexican Murals
- Modern Latin American Art (Jacqueline Barnitz, University of Texas at Austin)
- Latin American Art (Colección Patricia Phelps de Cisneros)
- Mexican Retablos (Jorge Durand and Douglas Massey)
- Community Murals (Timothy Drescher)
- Diego Rivera (Detroit Institute of Arts)
- Rescue Public Murals (Heritage Preservation)