Friday links: Musical abstractions, giant cat mask, and the Tate in Minecraft
Some stories we’ve been reading this week:
- The new Twitter account Medieval Reactions has become extremely popular by pairing images from medieval manuscripts with goofy captions. Brilliant, right? Depends on how you look at it.
- According to its website, Minecraft is a game in which “brave players battle terrible things in The Nether, which is more scary than pretty.” Not your idea of a good time? Thanks to the Tate, you can now also virtually visit the museum and enter famous artworks.
- Manet paints Monet. And he disses Renoir.
- An artist and his students at the Japan School of Wool Art created a giant realistic cat mask. Everyone at Artstor now wants one.
- This artist with synesthesia makes paintings depicting the colors and textures she sees when she hears music. Listen while you look.
- The Ford Theater—where Abraham Lincoln was shot 150 years ago this week—has created a stunning website featuring the stories of people who lived through the event.