Now available: Additional images from the Smith College Museum of Art
The Artstor Digital Library and the Smith College Museum of Art are sharing more than 5,000 additional images from the museum’s permanent collection, bringing the collection total to more than 13,000 images in the Digital Library.
The Smith College Museum of Art has one of the nation’s finest teaching collections with approximately 22,000 objects. Encyclopedic in scope, the permanent collection has strengths in European and American art from the 19th and 20th centuries, as well as holdings in Asian, African, and Latin American art and Classical antiquities. Of particular note is the depth and quality of the museum’s collections of prints, drawings, and photographs, more than 17,000 of which are housed at the Cunningham Center for the Study of Prints, Drawings and Photographs.
The Smith College Museum of Art was founded with the Smith College in 1875. In 2003, the Brown Fine Arts Center–a complex housing the museum, as well as Smith College’s Department of Art and Hillyer Art Library–was renovated and expanded by Polshek Partnership. The Atrium of the Brown Fine Arts Center is decorated with a 43-foot long mural by Mexican artist Rufino Tamayo, “Nature and the Artist: The Work of Art and the Observer,” which was originally commissioned by the college in 1943.
View the collection in the Digital Library: http://library.artstor.org/library/collection/smith
For more detailed information about this collection, visit the Smith College Museum of Art page in Artstor.