Friday Links: the world’s ugliest color, a terrible flood, and a cheeky conservator
Some stories we’ve been reading this week:
- In case you were wondering, here’s a list of the ten worst ways to die in a Hieronymus Bosch.
- Is this the world’s ugliest color? (We’re inclined to say yes.)
- The Blue Mountain Project has scanned nearly 350 issues of Der Sturm (“the storm”), a Weimar-era arts journal that promoted German Expressionism and modern art. Even if you don’t read German you’ll want to take a look for the stunning illustrations by giants such as Kandinsky, Kokoschka, Marc, and Macke. Tremendous.
- It’s just terrible to see how the recent floods in France damaged the art in the Musée Girodet.
- A dying breed: meet one of the world’s last professional carousel carvers.
- And finally, we’ll let this awesome tweet speak for itself:
Just completed the conservation of a 2000 y/o Roman statue, removing an interesting stain to the marble surface! 💋🍑 pic.twitter.com/ItIYrLwELW
— Jade Maloney (@Jade_Maloney) May 19, 2016