Friday Links: Munch smudge, banned hands, and bookstore pets
Some stories we’ve been reading this week:
- To be honest, we weren’t aware of this “mystery,” but we’re glad it’s solved. Scientists finally figured out what caused a white smudge on the surface of Edvard Munch’s The Scream.
- You’re probably aware of photographer William Eggleston’s passion for color (take a look in Artstor if you need a refresher), but did you know about his passion for music?
- Facebook banned a very innocent drawing of a hand by Hans Holbein, so an art critic has helpfully come up with a list of more provocative hands in art.
- We dare you to resist clicking on this link: bookstore pets.
- We’d say it’s about time to bring back the lost art of custom-illustrating your favorite books.
- Very cool: new technology uncovers hidden pictures on “blank” pages of a pre-Colombian book.