Some stories we’ve been reading this week:
- A giant sculpture in the UK had to be moved to avoid collisions with people texting.
- “What seems certain is that this final, extraordinary painting by Francis Bacon, unseen and undocumented until now, is by an artist who knows he will soon die.”
- A historian attempts to follow Tudor hygiene, changing her linen underwear in lieu of bathing to surprising results.
- Maybe it’s art, maybe it’s not: the creepiest channel on YouTube.
- In the thirties, Alice Neel made a series of illustrations for an edition of The Brothers Karamazov that never made it to print. Too bad, because they look great.
- The Buddhist Kamakura statues are miracles of technique, carved of wood hollowed out so thin that the sculptures weigh almost nothing.