Smith College Museum of Art
The Artstor Digital Library and the Smith College Museum of Art are sharing more than 13,000 images from the museum's permanent collection in the Digital Library.
The Smith College Museum of Art has one of the nation's finest teaching collections with approximately 22,000 objects. Encyclopedic in scope, the permanent collection has strengths in European and American art from the 19th and 20th centuries, as well as holdings in Asian, African, and Latin American art and Classical antiquities. Of particular note is the depth and quality of the museum's collections of prints, drawings, and photographs, more than 17,000 of which are housed at the Cunningham Center for the Study of Prints, Drawings and Photographs. The museum will continue to share additional works in the Artstor Digital Library as images become available.
The Smith College Museum of Art was founded with the Smith College in 1875. In 2003, the Brown Fine Arts Center—a complex housing the museum, as well as Smith College's Department of Art and Hillyer Art Library—was renovated and expanded by Polshek Partnership. The Atrium of the Brown Fine Arts Center is decorated with a 43-foot long mural by the Mexican artist Rufino Tamayo, Nature and the Artist: The Work of Art and the Observer, which was originally commissioned by the college in 1943.