Some stories we’ve been reading this week:
- This is happening right now: the Louvre moved artworks from rooms vulnerable to flooding as the Seine rises to its highest levels in three decades. Yikes.
- You may have thought that Lady Gaga’s precarious platform shoes were avant-garde, but they were actually predated by about five centuries: check out the elaborate 16th-century chopines.
- It seems like the 16th century was a hotbed of weirdness. Witness the craze for morbid memento mori.
- And we might as well follow that up with the rise and fall of medical cadaver ceremonies.
- Here is an excellent essay on how concealing the nude bodies of ancient statues, whether for censorship or fashion, adds another troublesome layer to their already complicated politics.